Pages

Thursday 7 September 2017

Getting Bullied Because Your Vegan | My Experience & Advice

Going plant-based was more like a calling than a choice. I've talked about that in previous blogs.

It was in 2009 when I decided to stop eating meat. I was so proud of my decision. I was excited to tell my friends and family what I was up to and the information that I have accumulated on this topic.

I thought that my decision was going to cause a ripple effect. People would listen to what I have to say and they would follow suit. Why wouldn't they? There was so much evidence that plant-based diets are the healthiest diets. Plus, we were not slaughtering animals. It was a win-win situation in my opinion.

But I couldn't have been more wrong. Well, that's why I thought at the time.

It was so disappointing the little support and understanding I had from my own friends and family.

Here are some of the comments I received.

"What about the rest of your family? What are we supposed to eat?"

"I told my dad and he told me to tell you not to be so foolish"

"You should eat some meat. It's not healthy to have no meat in your diet"

"You don't eat meat? That's why you're so skinny"

"You're children will grow up to be freaks"

I am not sharing this to demonize these people or to make you feel sorry for me. This is my experience and I choose to share it to help people understand my situation and to help people who may be in a similar position as I was in.

So what would my response be to such comments? Nothing. I would remain silent and avoid eye contact.

I learned rather quickly that not only were people uninterested in what I had to say, they were also offended. I was implying that what they were doing was wrong and that they needed to change. Of course, these people liked to their chicken, steak, and pork and thus they did not want to change.

They wanted me to be wrong. That way they could go about their daily life as they always had. Of course, they couldn't really prove me wrong. So their only option was to become defensive and throw insults at me.

I got the message so I became silent, avoiding the topic at all costs.

I use to feel anger. I would accuse these people of forcing me into silence with their judgments. They were denying my freedom of speech because they did not accept my choice to go plant-based.

But time has passed and I have grown. With that comes a new perception of the situation.

People will not always accept or support your decisions. Even when you know it's a great choice some will not understand. And because they don't understand, they may feel threatened or offended. To make themselves feel better about the situation, they may condemn you or make fun of you.

By all means, keep doing what you're doing and stick up for yourself if you want.

But I think it's best to reserve your words for those who are interested and lead those who don't understand by example. Let me elaborate.

When I say reserve your words for those who are interested, I mean find someone who has a similar interest. That could mean getting involved in programs or clubs or even reaching out to people online. There are tons of people who are involved or interested in this movement. Share your passion with these people. It's a safe and positive interaction because you should be able to find someone who wants to listen to you. You can learn from each other and grow.

When I say lead those who are uninterested by example, I mean to illustrate to these people the benefits of what you are doing. Maybe you lost weight or cleared your skin by going planet-based. Maybe you are so passionate about what you are doing that you are glowing with excitement and energy. Maybe you are getting recognition by some program for your positive influence.

Based on my experience, people will stop throwing comments and insults once they see results. That does not mean that everyone who didn't support me before are now vegans. But some are eating more plants, some are interested in eating more plants, others have admitted that what I'm doing must be working.

So yes, there was a ripple effect. It only became obvious some years later :)

I hope you find this helpful.

And if you are struggling to find someone who understands your food choices, comment or send me an email (angela.lundrigan11@gmail.com). I would be more than happy to chat!

Don't forget to subscribe and share this blog. It would mean so much.

Ang





Here is a link to my previous blog:

How To Know If Your An Empath | My Experience

Here are some other food related blogs:

My Calling: A "Plant-Based" Joruney | A Personal Story

What Happens To Your Body When You Eat Unhealthy (Again)

If You're Tired Of Treating Acne With Diet... Read This.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Increase Your Frequency

Hey guys. I hope this blog finds you well. Today I am writing about how to raise your vibrational frequency. If you are unsure what this me...