Pages

Thursday 4 May 2017

How I Maintain A Minimalist Life

I wrote an article recently about the true meaning of minimalism. I have been interested in minimalism and I have been trying to obtain this lifestyle of quiet sometime. If something in my home doesn't add value or purpose to life, I will get rid of it.

Reducing the amount of stuff you have in your home is not hard but it can be an ongoing task depending on how much you accumulated. I have been working on reducing what I own for quite some time now (maybe a year or so?) and I'm still working on it. I know getting rid of your possessions is intimidating, but fear not! I have developed a method for maintaining a minimalist life that I would like to share with anyone who may be interested.

1. Clean Out Your Home On A Regular Basis

Most people seem to clean out there house twice a year: during the spring and winter. I go through my closet and other areas of my home almost on a monthly basis. I will go through my stuff and get rid of things I know I don't use or don't want. Knowing that in a few more weeks I can do this again makes getting rid of what I have a lot less intimating. I would rather take months to get rid of stuff that I know I don't want as opposed to rushing the process and getting rid of items I may regret tossing.

2. Put Your Items In Storage

If you come across some items that you are unsure you want to get rid of, put them in a box or a bag and put them away in storage somewhere. A place where you can't see it. If a few months pass and you have completely forgotten about that item, there is a very good chance it's something you can do without. Then you can toss it on your next cleaning day.

3. Stop Shopping

There is seriously no point in taking any of my recommendations if you keep shopping. Even if you shop with the intention of being mindful, there is a good chance you are going to bring in useless garbage at some point of another. The quick fix to this is to reduce how often you shop!

4. Be Mindful Of What You Get Rid Of

I have a two flashlights in my home. I hardly use them, but I won't toss them. They came in handy when our power went suddenly for 24 hours!  Are you getting rid of that lamp because you have no use for it? Or because it isn't aesthetically pleasing? You don't want to get rid of things only to go buy something similar to it again. That's a waste of money and resources.

On a side not, when I say to "get rid of stuff", I don't necessarily mean throwing it in the garbage. I would recommend you donate, re-gift, or upcycle your stuff. That way they have a better chance of getting the home they deserve and staying out of our landfills!

I hope you find my suggestions helpful. If you have any of your own, I would love for you to share!

Happy cleaning!

Angie




No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Increase Your Frequency

Hey guys. I hope this blog finds you well. Today I am writing about how to raise your vibrational frequency. If you are unsure what this me...