Pages

Wednesday 28 June 2017

10 Beautiful Things That Happen When You Do Yoga

Before I get into this blog, I'm going to tell you about how I got into Yoga. It's pretty intense. Are you ready? I got into Yoga through... the Wii Fit. Yep. You read that right. The Wii Fit is a game for the Nintendo Wii. In this game, you can do Yoga poses and I believe you earn points based on your balance. It's been years since I played it.

When I started doing Yoga via the Wii Fit, I noticed that I really liked how my body felt. The best way for me to explain it is that it felt right. And I felt invigorated after. I started following along to Yoga lessons that aired on TV. Shortly after that I discovered Yoga teachers on YouTube.

Yoga via YouTube is my favorite way to practice it.  In case you are curious, my favorite Yogi's are Tara Stiles and Yoga With Adriene.

I have been doing Yoga for about a decade now and I have been practicing it very consistently the past several years. The past year or so I have noticed changes that happened to and within me as a result of practicing Yoga that I wish to share with you.

1. You Will Align Yourself Off The Mat

When you are practicing Yoga, your teacher will remind you of your alignment. Long neck. Tail bone tucked in. Shoulders rotated. Well, I'm constantly checking my alignment when I'm off the mat. In turn, this is great for your posture.

2. You Will Practice When You Are Not Doing Yoga

The other day I wanted to get someone out of my bottom drawer. Instead of simply bending down, I kicked one leg back and practiced a standing split while getting the item out of the drawer. This isn't uncommon for me and it's safe you say you will find yourself doing the same thing.

3. You Will Become Conscious Of Your Breath

While practicing Yoga, you will learn to take long deep breaths into your belly. I have become very aware of my breath when I'm off the mat. I check myself to make sure I'm breathing deep into my belly, especially if I'm anxious.

4. You Will Listen To Your Body

After years of practicing Yoga, I now know, appreciate, and respect what my body needs. If I'm tired, I may do a Yoga routine that focuses on stretching and relaxing. There is no shame in this. I honor what my body is telling me.

5. The Burn Feels Good

And on days when you do have the energy, the burn will actually feel good. It's as if your body is telling you that this is exactly what it needs right now. You will be able to hold that plank pose longer than ever!

6. You Will Get Emotional

I had to research this one. What I found is that just like Yoga releases physical tension in your body, it also releases emotional tension as well. Don't be surprised if you well up during certain yoga poses.

7. You Become (More) In Tune With Your Body

In my experience thus far, this mostly involves food. Your body has a way of telling you when it needs food and what food it needs. This becomes more clear when you do Yoga.

8. You Will Feel Proud Of Your Accomplishments

But not in an egotistical way. You might want to show people that you can do a headstand but it's not to show off. This may happen with non-Yoga related accomplishments as well.

9. You Crave More Yoga

I started doing yoga for about 10 minutes a day. I worked up my way up to 20-30 minutes a day. Now, I have been craving doing yoga for about an hour in addition to some playtime after my lesson. Of course, this all deepens on my body and what it needs. Refer to point number 4.

10. You Will Challenge Yourself

When I first began to practice Yoga, I never thought I would ever attempt headstands and arm balances and yet here I am. You will know when you are ready to take your Yoga practice to the next level.

There is definitely a common tread in my list. Getting in tune with your body and taking what you learned on the mat outside of your practice.

I hope that this article inspires you to start or continue your practice. There are so many types of yoga. Experiment and see what works best for you.

I would love to hear from you. How did you get into Yoga? And how has it changed you?

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Namaste,

Ang



Check out some of my other blogs:

Why You Will Never Be Free Of Anxiety
https://confessionsofanawakenedyouth.blogspot.ca/2017/06/i-have-anxiety.html

9 Signs You Are Going To Live A Spiritual Life
https://confessionsofanawakenedyouth.blogspot.ca/2017/06/9-signs-you-are-going-to-and-should.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Increase Your Frequency

Hey guys. I hope this blog finds you well. Today I am writing about how to raise your vibrational frequency. If you are unsure what this me...