Pages

Friday 21 April 2017

Minimalism (unplugged)

Minimalism is taking the internet by storm and naturally, I'm interested. I have been trying to live a minimalist life for a while now and it takes time! I have 26 years of stuff that I have accumulated. It's hard to get ride of these things. But with time, you will notice your living space is a little less cluttered. And what a feeling that is. Space in one's body, mind, and physical space has always been something I live by.

If you do a YouTube search on minimalism, you will probably see things like "my minimalist room tour" or "minimalist room decor" or "how to dress like a minimalist". Isn't it ironic? Contradictory? Since I started watching these videos, I noticed I have been collecting more stuff. I need a table that looks like this or a article of clothes that looks like that to be a minimalist. I realize now that's total crap.

I watched a documentary the other day called "Minimalism". It was two men promoting their minimalist lifestyle in it's true and natural form. Now, they can literally fit all their belongings in one bag. That's intimidating to a lot of people including myself. But the documentary reminded me exactly what minimalism truly is. It's not about a fashion statement or showing off the lack of things one has. It's simply letting go of things that serve you no purpose or that has no value. That's it. It also teaches people to be mindful consumers. It's important to look at your purchases objectively. Will this item bring meaning to your life? It is helping you learn and grow? Will you love it 10 years from now? 

But minimalism will mean different things to different people. If you love art, it's totally OK to have paints, pens, markers, brushes and canvases. You love to paint and that brings value in your life. This can apply to anything. Are you a maximalist and can't imagine getting rid of your possessions? That's cool too!

I'm not blaming social media for my shopping. But it's easy to get a little too caught up in trends and forget the meaning behind them. 

I'm going to leave it at that. I think it's time to clean out my closet again. 

Ang




No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Increase Your Frequency

Hey guys. I hope this blog finds you well. Today I am writing about how to raise your vibrational frequency. If you are unsure what this me...