Pages

Friday 28 April 2017

Do you have repetitive, distressing thoughts? Read this.

There you are. Minding your own business when a thought pops into your head. It could be anything. Then suddenly, a feeling of dread comes over you. The thought is ridiculous. You know that. But it will not leave you. For as long as I can remember, I had these crazy fear-inducing thoughts. They would never leave me! And when it finally did, another thought replaced it.

I remember feeling miserable in high school. I lost interest in just about everything. I felt little joy during Christmas or during other exciting times. I had a tightness in my chest and I remember going home from school with panic attacks. I believe I started to feel depressed.

I always hoped that this was a phase and that when I become an adult, it would go away. Well, in my early 20s these distressing thoughts still raced through my mind. Coincidentally, I majored in Psychology. And I do believe in every way that it was meant to be. I remember studying Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). A certain component of the disorder caught my attention. OCD may be characterized by intrusive, obsessive, and often disturbing thoughts.

I could write a book about my experiences and the sequence of events that helped me gain control of thoughts. Instead, I have complied a list of what helped bring me back to reality.

1. OCD is a mental illness

There is nothing actually wrong with you for having distressing thoughts. Just because you thought of your spouse getting into a car accident does not mean you want them to die. Understanding that this is a disorder helped me so much.

2. Acceptance

This one was scary for me. Let's say you're worried you have a terminal illness and you have 6 months left to live. Accept it. I would tell myself that whatever will be, will be and I will deal with it when (or if) it ever happens. Spoiler alert: it never happened.

3. The majority of what you dwell on don't actually happen.

Just know that not one of my obsessive thoughts ever became a reality. And 90 odd percent of obsessive thoughts do not become a reality.

4. Everyone's brains are weird

Everyone in the world has had weird thoughts pop in their head. You are not alone. But people with obsessive-compulsive tendencies will dwell on these thoughts. But your thoughts does not equate with reality. They... are... just... thoughts.

5. Talk to a professional

I know, it's awkward, "Hey doc. So, I had a thought of a baby's butt and now I'm worried I'm a pedophile". But talking to someone who understands may be the best thing that ever happened to you. I wish I had seen a professional. I could have put all this in the past a long time ago.

6. Your brain is like a muscle

Spend too much time fixated on a thought, and that thought will become stronger than even. This goes for recovery as well. Breaking bad habits takes time so don't expect a complete change overnight. Keep practicing and eventually you will be able to control your thoughts and anxiety.
Becoming worry-free was so surreal. I took on new interests and hobbies and excelled in school. Something I didn't do before because my thoughts would distract and drain me.

Do I still have OCD? No, I don’t think so. Thoughts and anxiety no longer negatively affect my daily life. Do I still have obsessive-compulsive tendencies? I do. But the more time that passes, the stronger I become.


I can't wait for you experience that moment when you realize you are finally on your way to becoming worry-free. And I hope this is the beginning for you, if you haven't started already. And when feel yourself sink back into your thoughts, I hope you remember something  I said and brings you back to reality. Back to living and just being happy.  

Angie


No comments:

Post a Comment

How To Increase Your Frequency

Hey guys. I hope this blog finds you well. Today I am writing about how to raise your vibrational frequency. If you are unsure what this me...